THE TRINITY PROJECT

A chronology of the life changing event of having triplets.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

SITUATION CRITICAL! -- The Simpson babies make an unexpected and early entrance……

Well where do I begin…………………………………………the last thing I remember was fretting that the website had not been updated with the latest ultrasound pictures and a thanks to Michelle, Tom, Mom, and Bob for the car seats…………well I am not fretting about that now. I am a father of three who has a whole host of new things to worry about!

It all began last Wednesday. It started out like a regular day where I went to work and Shannon brought Kristen for a routine ‘non-stress test’ for the babies. At about 12pm I wisely decided to answer my ringing cell phone in the middle of a meeting explaining to my co-worker James Niemi, “It might be my wife”. It wasn’t my wife it was Shannon, who said “We’re at the hospital and the babies have to come out today”. I can’t remember what else she said; I simply stood up, told James “I have to go” and walked straight out to my vehicle. I arrived at the hospital at 12:13pm. Any rumors relating to the misuse of a fire services light and speeding across town are greatly exaggerated.

When I arrived, Kristen was visibly shaken and my heartfelt thanks go to Dr. Huneault who calmly and kindly explained the situation and why the babies had to be delivered so suddenly. Kristen had noticeably worsened in 4 days. The swelling which had been restricted to her feet had moved up her legs, here blood pressure had been climbing daily and was now at a dangerous level, her platelets were low, and she was exhausted with headaches. She had severe Pre-eclampsia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-eclampsia). The only treatment is delivery.

So by 2pm we had bumped all other waiting mothers on the floor and Kristen was being wheeled into the operating room for general anesthetic. This too was no slam dunk because of the malignant hypothermia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malignant_hyperthermia) which is rampant in her family (nothing is simple). I was not allowed in the operating room because as I learned with premature babies a team is assembled complete with an incubator. With three premature babies, three teams are used which simply left no room for dad. So I played the classic role of pacing father with Shannon at my side.

On August 16th, 2006 at 2:13pm GRACE LINDA SIMPSON (2lb 14oz) was born, followed by her sister at 2:14pm AVERY ELSIE SIMPSON (3lb 9oz), and finally her brother at 2:16pm EVERETT LUCIEN SIMPSON (2lb 13oz).

All three were immediately intubated and evacuated to the Natal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Without getting into the gory details, a team of doctors and nurses injected, inserted, and attached just about every medical device I think the hospital owns. They were and continue to be under 24 hour observation and care.

Then things got complicated. Kristen had developed a complication stemming from the Pre-eclampsia called HELLPs syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HELLP). So instead of being wheeled out to the recovery room where I was waiting, she was rushed to the Adult Intensive Care unit.

That began the longest 24 hours of my life.

Torn between the 2nd floor ICU when Kristen had also been intubated and was unconscious and the 3rd floor NICU where doctors were running tests on 15 minute intervals for the triplets. Frantic, can be the only word to describe my state. The long night ended with doctors in both departments giving me the same news, ‘stable’.

Our medical system has many faults, none of which is related to the quality and care provided by the nurses and doctors on the front lines. In our circumstance, we simply have not a single complaint to date for the amount of effort and level of care provided to both Kristen and babies. I would like to express my personal thank you to Bruce, Denise, and Sherrie who cared so thoughtfully for Kristen and the gang of nurses who have tirelessly responding to every ding and dong the monitors make for our babies. All have helped me as much as they helped my family.

Many of you know how this story turns out, but for those who don’t Kristen spent 3 days in intensive care, but slowly recovered and was moved to regular hospital room, then home where her recovery continues. As for the triplets, they are all off the intubations and breathing on their own. Soon all three will be off the intravenous feeding and be fed through stomach tubes. All three a progressing well, getting stronger every day.

Kristen and I will maintain a constant vigil at their side, Rick and Shannon who have a vigil of their own, have been visiting daily.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jason and Kristen,
Congratulations on the arrival of your triplets! Chris (Skrobot) and I are thinking about you lots! This website is fabulous (sent to me by a friend at INCO!), we...I was very curious and this was a great way to hear the details (not that Ron...and then Chris, aren't a reliable source!!). As a triplet (also 2 girls and a boy) I have special interest!! Congratulations!!
Steph and Chris Skrobot

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger The Simpsons said...

Thank you guys for your interest and concern. It is heartwarming that everyone has been thinking of us.

How's married life treating you Steph? Has he changed now that he has you locked in?

Thursday, August 24, 2006 9:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home